Thanksgiving day and the day after are two of the busiest days of the year for our professional plumbing team. Preparations for the big dinner – and the cleanup afterward – can wreak havoc on your home plumbing. Following the following simple tips can be all it takes to save your Thanksgiving this year.
Tips to Avoid Thanksgiving Plumbing Problems This Year
- Take care of known problems in advance – If you already know about a slow-flowing or clogged drain, a leak, or another plumbing problem, do yourself a favor and have it repaired before the big day. Our plumbing experts will be more than happy to get the job done efficiently so you can focus on being with your family.
- Don’t overdo it with the garbage disposal – Treat your garbage disposal well to avoid a jammed or broken unit. Remember not to completely fill the garbage disposal before turning it on.
- Don’t pour fats or oils down the drain – These can easily harden and cause solid clogs. Also, don’t send stringy, fatty or starchy foods into it. This includes any part of a potato, chicken or turkey skin, or celery.
- Don’t flush anything other than toilet paper and human waste – Keep a trash can next to the toilet to make it easy for guests to dispose of items that shouldn’t be flushed, so they won’t resort to using the toilet to get rid of them.
- Don’t become a DIY plumber on Thanksgiving – If a plumbing problem happens on Thanksgiving or when your guests are still there the next day, it can be tempting to try to resolve the issue yourself. Unfortunately, you may inadvertently turn a minor problem into a major catastrophe. This can not only be messy while your guests are over, but it can also create a significant avoidable expense. Thanksgiving isn’t the time to try DIY plumbing for the first time. Our experts are here to help you instead.
- Keep our 24/7 number on hand – It never hurts to be prepared. If you find yourself facing a Thanksgiving plumbing emergency, just call McLoughlin Plumbing, Heating and Cooling at 610-624-8037. We’ll send a skilled plumbing professional as soon as possible to repair the issue so you can continue your celebrations.