At McLoughlin Plumbing Heating & Cooling, our family operated business has served the Folcroft, PA area since 1965. We strive to be not only a reliable and honest AC contractor, but we are active members of the community. Because we live and work here, we rely on our reputation, so we treat people not as customers but as neighbors.
The next time your drain clogs, call us for expert, thorough drain cleaning service.
Our 24 Hour Emergency AC Repairs
Imagine the first summer day that sends the thermometer to the top. You kick on the air conditioner only to find it weakly putting out warm air. Or maybe it’s Friday, and the system goes out, and you’re facing a weekend of sweating out inside. Whatever the trouble, you can always count on McLoughlin Plumbing Heating & Cooling. And while not every AC issue requires 24-hour emergency repair, here are a few situations where you won’t want to wait.
- Odd Noises: If the AC begins making shrieking, grinding, or squealing noises, call for help right away because delay could mean more extensive damage being done.
- Foul Odors: Burning odors coming from your AC could mean an electrical issue or a part that’s worn out. If you notice foul, burning odors coming from the unit, call for help right away.
- Electrical Issues: Sometimes, the air conditioner wreaks havoc with the home’s electrical system like dimming the lights when it’s running and frequently tripping the breaker. If your system develops this habit, don’t let it go — call for repairs ASAP.
- No Air: If you kick on the AC and get no air or weak airflow, it could be a variety of issues, and it’s best not to wait on a fix.
AC Tune Ups
Your home’s air conditioner is a finely-tuned machine that requires regular maintenance to function efficiently and lasts as long as possible. Regular tune-ups save you money on expensive repairs and allow you to find minor problems before they become major ones. It’s best to hire an AC contractor for effective maintenance, but here are a few things you can do on your own.
- Change the Filter: Change or clean the air filter at least once a month. Dirty air filters reduce the airflow and cause the system to work harder, reducing lifespan.
- Unclog the Drain Pipe: The condensate drain tube removes excess condensation and is prone to clogging. Algae and mold buildup are the most common causes of these clogs.
- Clean the Coils: Your AC’s coils are the heart of the cooling system; it’s where the refrigerator absorbs the heat to cool down the air before it goes back into the house. Dirt and debris build up on the coils and should be cleaned regularly.
- Straighten Fins: Check the air conditioner’s fins, and if you notice any that are bent, you can use a fin comb to straighten them.
To find out more, contact one of our friendly representatives.
If you’re sick of the air quality in your house, contact us and ask about our air purifiers.
How to Know You Need an Air Conditioning Replacement
Like any machine, your home’s HVAC system will eventually wear out. And while you can always repair it, sometimes replacement makes more sense. Here’s how to know.
- Age: If your air conditioner is over 10 years old, plan to install a new one soon.
- Frequent Downtime: If you’re getting regular visits from your AC contractor because the air conditioner broke again, it’s a sign that the money could be better spent going towards a new, more reliable system.
- Your System Uses R-22 Freon: Freon stopped being produced in the United States in January 2020. Air conditioners over ten years old likely used R-22 as its refrigerant, but it was found to have adverse effects on the environment. So, if your system uses Freon and it breaks down, you’ll have to replace it with an air conditioner that doesn’t use it.