Whether you’re trying to boost your home value or just get more enjoyment out of your space, sprucing up your kitchen and bathroom can make a huge difference. That said, a full remodeling can take a lot of time and money – two things most homeowners don’t always have in their budgets.
Even if you aren’t ready to take on a lot of time and expense, it doesn’t mean you can’t give your kitchen and bathroom a few upgrades. As long as everything is in good condition, a facelift may be all these rooms need.
This spring, freshen up your kitchen or bathroom with a few of the following projects. No remodeling required and they won’t break the bank:
• Update your faucet – whether you’re sprucing up your kitchen or your bathroom, your faucet can make a surprising difference in the look you can achieve. There are many different finishes that you can choose, from stainless to nickel, brushed nickel, copper, pewter, and many more are all available depending on your specific style choices. Maybe you are looking to choose a new model for a cleaner look, better water usage efficiency, or even for added features such as a sprayer or touch activation. Consider the other materials that will be a part of your room before selecting your faucet. Will you be changing the rest of the kitchen or bathroom cabinet hardware? What about the bathroom doorknob? Aim to choose matching materials throughout the room for a more attractive look.
• Replace old toilets and/or vanities – as is the case with paint colors, toilet and vanity colors also go in and out of style. If your bathroom still has a pale pink, green, yellow or blue toilet or vanity, then it will automatically look dated regardless of all other changes you may have made to the room. Fortunately, these pieces can be easily swapped out for newer, more modern-looking models, giving the entire room an upgraded appearance. This also gives you the chance to choose a toilet that conserves more water, such as a dual flush. You’ll save water – and money on your water bill – with every flush.
• Install a luxury showerhead – over the last handful of years, showerhead technology has come a very long way. There are options that can save a considerable amount of money through water economy, as well as models that will provide you with a spa-like experience within the comfort of your own home. In fact, there are even showerheads with Bluetooth connections that will allow you to play music or alert you if you receive a call or text on your cell phone. You can enjoy colored light therapy as you shower or even enjoy a bathing experience in which the water is pre-scented. Have a look at the many options now available and give your shower an entirely new and improved experience with that one simple upgrade.
• Update your appliances – are some of your appliances so old that they’re running on borrowed time? The odds are that they’re also energy pigs and use far more water than modern models. Save electricity and water by updating your appliances. Even today’s basic models are far more efficient than those sold a decade ago or more. Over time, they start to pay for themselves and they look better, too.
• Give cabinets a facelift – if your cabinets are still in great shape but look dated, all they may need is a fresh coat of paint and some new hardware instead of a full kitchen or bathroom remodeling. You can give your room the appearance of having been entirely redone without having to lose the use of these rooms for more than a day.
These simple changes are affordable, practical and can add value. Best of all they give the rooms the look of having undergone a major renovation, even though the majority of these projects can be completed within a few hours or a weekend at the most.
If you’d like to learn more about how you can freshen up your kitchen and/or bathroom this spring, give us a call at McLoughlin Plumbing, Heating, and Cooling. One of our experts will be happy to offer you some practical and affordable ideas for an affordable room facelift without the need for a complete remodel.